TV Shows Renewals and Cancellations Commentary
Normally in my entertainment news blogs I include information on which TV shows are being canceled or renewed. It had been so long since I had done such a blog I decided to separate out that topic into a separate blog. My source of information is the following link from TV Line.
I won’t comment on every show so you might want to check the link to see if they have information on a show I didn’t mention.. Going network by network here are the broadcast TV shows that have either been renewed, canceled, or scheduled to end.
- All of their primetime game shows such as Pyramid, Card Sharks, Match Game, Celebrity Family Fusion, Holy Moly, Press Your Luck, Who Wants to be a Millionaire and To Tell the Truth have been renewed. The only one I ever watched was Millionaire.
- Reality shows such as American Housewife, The Bachelor, Bachelor in Paradise none of which I watch have been renewed
- American Idol renewed however I thought last year’s “at home” version was absolutely terrible. If we don’t get out from underneath the pandemic I would wish they simply postpone it. Singer “Just Sam” won the season all alone in her apartment without any family or friends to celebrate with her. The hometown visit for the finalists never happened. The duets with famous celebrities was completely unsatisfying when done virtually. I thought the whole thing was a disaster. America’s Got Talent is probably down that same rabbit hole and I’m not looking forward to it.
- Dancing With The Stars renewed however Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews will not be back as hosts. The same panel of judges are expected to return. I suppose this show would be watchable without an audience but it would probably miss something like the audience booing at the judges especially the Len Goodman.
- The following shows were canceled and I either didn’t watch them or perhaps never even heard of them: The Baker and the Beauty, Bless This Mess, Grand Hotel, Kids Say the Darndest Things, Reef Break, Schooled, Single Parents.
- How to Get Away with Murder — series ended May 14. I watched all but the final season of this. It was just too tiring to watch with all of the flash forwards and flashbacks. It was a show deliberately designed to keep the audience guessing and it seemed that when all of the questions were answered in the final episode each season I no longer cared about the outcome. It just wasn’t worth the effort to try to reassemble the timelines in your head each episode. I liked the early seasons but it just wasn’t worth it anymore. Goodbye.
- Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD final episodes now airing. This season has been by far their best ever. It’s nice that they are going out on a high note but I wish some of the previous seasons had been this great. I’m going to miss it.
- Returning sitcoms: black-ish, The Conners, The Goldbergs. I only watch the first two and I like them. Spinoff mixed-ish will also return. I watched a few and liked it. Will probably binge the rest someday. The only really good new sitcom last year.
- Modern Family — A groundbreaking sitcom that lasted 11 seasons and finished on a nice note back in April. I didn’t see much of the last just because my schedule was full but it was a fun ride while it lasted.
- Fresh off the Boat — series finale was February 21. I never watched it.
- Grey’s Anatomy will be back for its 17th season without original cast member Justin Chambers as Dr. Alex Karev who was written out late this past. Also related its spinoff Station 19. I continue to enjoy both of them.
- The Rookie and Stumptown are new last season cop shows that I rather enjoyed but did not watch that much. They will both be back.
- Reality shows Big Brother, Big Brother: Celebrity Edition and Love Island are back this summer. Also Undercover Boss returns and I couldn’t care less.
- Survivor and The Amazing Race have been renewed but delayed because of the pandemic. I can’t see either one going back into production until the pandemic is completely under control. I miss them both already.
- Sitcoms Bob Hearts Abishola, The Unicorn, The Neighborhood, Mom, Young Sheldon Renewed. I only watch the last two. I never did Heart Bob 🙂 Seemed like a sad ripoff of Mike and Molly. I gave Unicorn good review but didn’t have time to watch it. Wasn’t interested in Neighborhood.
- Broke, Carol’s Second Act, Tommy, Man with a Plan, God Friended Me all canceled as I expected. Many friends said they liked Tommy. I didn’t watch any of them.
- Hawaii Five-O ended its 10 year run on April 3. I really enjoyed it but finally got tired and gave up on it partway through last season.
- Blood & Treasure, MacGyver, Magnum P.I. renewed but I don’t watch.
- Bull, FBI, NCIS, NCIS Los Angeles, NCIS New Orleans, SWAT, Seal Team all coming back. I watched all expect LA. Don’t know why I don’t like it. Characters just don’t appeal to me the way the others do.
- Criminal Minds aired its final episode February 19. Ran for 15 seasons. I probably watched eight or nine of them but I finally got tired of a new and weirder psychopath each week.
- Evil renewed. Did not watch it but intended to. I might go back and binge at some point. Legal drama All Rise renewed but I never watched and probably won’t. Looks like it potential.
- 911, 911: Lone Star, The Masked Singer, Prodigal Son all returning and I’m very happy. Lone Star isn’t as good as the original 911 but it’s watchable.
- The Orville — creator/star Seth McFarlane was too busy to produce the next season in time. So Fox decided to pass on it and season 3 will relocate to Hulu. I really look forward to it.
- Empire had its final episode April 21 and is it possibility of a wrapup movie. I watched the first season but didn’t care enough to continue.
- BH 90210, Deputy, Flirty Dancing, Outmatched not watched by me and apparently nobody else. All canceled.
- So You Think You Can Dance — season 17 called off for pandemic. No word about its future.
- The Simpsons, Beat Shazam, Bless the Harts, Bob’s Burgers, Duncanville, The Great North, Hell’s Kitchen, Master Chef, Last Man Standing, The Moodys, The Resident all renewed and I either did didn’t watch or never heard of them.
- America’s Got Talent and America’s Got Talent The Champions are listed as “sure thing” however I’m already dreading how AGT live shows will look during pandemic. American Ninja Warrior, Ellen’s Game of Games and The Voice also returning but I don’t watch.
- Little Big Shots listed as “a safe bet” while The Wall, Songland listed as “a long shot” and “could go either way” respectively. Making It renewed.
- Bluff City Law an excellent legal drama starring Jimmy Smits did not survive its first season. I really liked it.
- AP Bio which I never liked is moving to Peacock streaming for its third season. Counsel of Dads, Indebted, Lincoln Rhyme, Perfect Harmony, The InBetween, Sunnyside are all canceled. Superstore returns without its star America Ferrera and I don’t care for any of these. I wanted to like Lincoln but it was just really bad
- Blindspot series finale just aired. I’m 2 seasons behind but I still like it and intend to binge it to completion.
- All three Chicago shows, Law & Order: SVU Manifest and New Amsterdam all renewed for 3 more seasons. I only watch Manifest but I’m behind a season.
- Good Girls, The Blacklist, This Is Us, Brooklyn Nine-Nine all returning but I only watch the first three.
- Will and Grace had its second series finale April 23. It was fun to have it back for a couple of new seasons but it was probably ready to quit.
- Batwoman returns with a new character. Black Lightning, Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, The Flash, Supergirl all renewed and I watch regularly. Arrow had its series finale January 28 and I will miss it a little bit.
- Supernatural it’s 15th and final season will premier this fall. I’m about season and a half behind but it still favorite of mine. Probably time for it to go however.
- The 100: returned May 20 with its final season. There are rumors of a spinoff. I kind of like it as well as the other YA sci-fi series Pandora which is returning much to my surprise. It’s not great but it’s okay.
- All-American, Charmed, Dynasty, Legacies, Nancy Drew, Riverdale, Roswell New Mexico, Whose Line Is It Anyway all renewed but I don’t watch.
- Penn & Teller: Fool Us returning and I’m very happy.
- Katy Keene I think this is a spinoff from some other CW show that I never watch. It will not be back.
Here is the link to the page that is the basis for these listings.
Obviously neither I nor my source TV Line can cover every cable TV show. This is just a sampling.
- Better Call Saul — I’m behind but I plan to catch up for its 6th and final season.
- Dispatches from Elsewhere season 1 began April 27 and it looked like it was not intended to be multi-season. Bizarre yet interesting show with a very unsatisfying final episode. No word on its future. The Terror also is a one season at a time kind of show that if it returns will be a totally new premise as was the second season. No word yet.
- McMafia and NOS4A2 renewed but I don’t watch.
- Lodge 49 was a fun quirky show that will not be back for season 3 and I probably really won’t miss it. But it had its moments.
- Fear The Walking Dead returns for season 6 October 11. The Walking Dead will have its postponed season 10 finale October 4 to be followed by 6 additional episodes. Renewed for season 11. New spinoff series The Walking Dead: World beyond premieres October 4 and is scheduled to only run 2 seasons
I never heard of this network. No surprise then it ceased operations sometime this spring.
- Doctor Who season 12 started March 1. Sure thing for renewal but no date yet.
- Killing Eve award-winning show renewed for season 4 and I can’t wait.
- Rick and Morty — season 4 aired May 31 and has been renewed. I know it’s a geek favorite but I never watched it and don’t think I would like it.
The network is no longer producing original programming. Jett season 1 finale was August 9, 2019. Strike Back series finale was April 17. Warrior renewed and will premier this fall.
- Awkwafina is Nora from Queens, Drunk History, The Other Two renewed as well as season 26 of South Park. I don’t watch any of them.
- Corporate season finale was July 22 and I never watched.
- Deep State and Get Shorty no word yet but I hope they are renewed.
- Pennyworth will be back for season 2 and I’m anxiously awaiting.
FX & FXX
- American Crime Story season 3 will be the impeachment of Bill Clinton
- American Horror Story renewed through season 13 with a spinoff ordered. Will be American Horror Stories (plural) it will be individual episodes instead of a season long story.
- Atlanta, Breeders, Mr. Inbetween, Pose, Taboo, Snowfall all renewed but I don’t watch. Also Better Things is renewed and I’ve always wanted to see it but never had time.
- Fargo season 4 is delayed but will be coming. Mixed feelings about it. Some seasons are good. Others not so much.
- Mayans M.C. renewed for season 3 and I can’t wait.
- What We Do in the Shadows my roommate Josh is happy season 3 is coming but I never watched it. It’s a vampire comedy series.
- Archer season 11 premiered in September. No word on 12. I hope so.
- It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia renewed for season 15. Tried it once and thought it was terrible but it must be popular to survive that long.
- Barry, Perry Mason, and Westworld all renewed and I’m very happy.
- Avenue 5 renewed. I watched a couple and it had a bizarre quirky charm. I made binge the rest or let it go. Not sure yet. His Dark Materials renewed by haven’t seen it but I intend to go back and binge.
- Betty, A Black Lady Sketch Show, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Euphoria, Gentleman Jack, Insecure, My Brilliant Friend, The Righteous Gemstones, Succession all renewed but I don’t watch.
- Game of Thrones series ended as scheduled. Prequel series scheduled for 2022. Silicon Valley ended as scheduled. I should have watched but didn’t.
- Room 104, Ballers both canceled but I never watched. “Run” was fun for 9 episodes and then fizzled in the finale. Also will not be back.
- Knightfall and Project Blue Book canceled. Only watched the first. Not bad but I won’t miss it.
- Vikings second half of final season 6 with no premier date. Spinoff series ordered Netflix.
- SpongeBob SquarePants renewed for season 13. Never seen it.
- Yellowstone board me to death after one episode but has been renewed for season 4.
I never heard of this network until recently. Flack canceled but moving to Amazon Prime. One Day at a Time previously on Netflix will have season 4 here date undetermined. Schitt’s Creek much nominated comedy series by Eugene Levy ended April 7
- The Affair finale was November 3, 2019. Always wanted to watch it but never got around to it after several seasons.
- Billions I’m a season behind but happy it is returning even though no dates yet.
- Homeland not coming back but it had run its course. It was good while it lasted.
Penny Dreadful: City of Angels was one of the best new dramas this year. No word on renewal but I really hope it is coming back
- Back to Life, Black Monday, City on a Hill, On Becoming a God in Central Florida, Work in Progress All renewed but I don’t watch.
- The L Word: Generation Q coming back but not as good as the original.
- Shameless renewed for final season without Fiona
- American Gods and Outlander have both been renewed and I’m very happy.
- The Girlfriend Experience, Hightown, P-Valley renewed but I never watch them.
- Killjoys ended September 20, 2019 and I will really miss it
- The Magicians indent April 1 and I will really miss it
- Vagrant Queen ended June 4 I never watched
- Van Helsing — I watched a couple of seasons but it wasn’t that good in the long run. Season 5 upcoming will be the last.
- Wynonna Earp season 4 just premiered July 26. I watch the first episode of season 1 and really liked it but have not had time to go back and get caught up. I didn’t realize I was so far behind.
- American Dad for seasons 17 and 18. Never watched it.
- The Last O.G. season 3 ended June 9. No word on future season.
- Miracle Workers this bizarre offbeat comedy with Steve Buscemi and Daniel Radcliffe finish season 2. I would be surprised if it came back. No word yet.
- The Alienist season 2 premiered July 19 and has been excellent.
- Animal Kingdom season 5 coming. I never watched. It’s not a nature show by the way.
- Claws renewed for final season 4. Never watched it.
- Snowpiercer excellent new sci-fi show renewed for season 2 and I can’t wait.
- At Home with Amy Sedaris season 3 finished July 22. No word. Never watched.
- I’m Sorry renewed for season 3. Never heard of it.
- Tacoma FD it says season 2 resumed July 23. Never heard of it.
- Briarpatch canceled after one season. I kind of liked it.
- Dirty John previously on Bravo season 2 finished July 14. I heard it was popular but I never saw it.
- Mr. Robot really bizarre surrealistic sci-fi that I liked. Officially ended December 22, 2019. I still need to binge the final season.
- The Purge has been purged. I watched one or two and it didn’t appeal to me.
- Queen of the South renewed for season 5. Never saw it.
- The Sinner on very happy and has been for season 4. Interesting twist on a procedural cop show. You know from the beginning whodunit. The question is why.
- Suits ended after 9 seasons. I will mess it.
- Pearson spinoff from Suits was pretty good but canceled after one season.
- Treadstone loosely based on the Bourne books and movies. It was okay but it only lasts one season.
Again obviously we can’t cover everything and I’m not going to even cover everything that TV Line covered. Here is the link to their page if you want more detail.
- Bosch we need for final 7. I’ve heard good things about it but never had a chance to watch.
- The Boys season 2 starts September 4. Already renewed for season 3. I intend to catch up.
- Carnival Row renewed for season 2. I intend to check it out.
- The Expanse formally on SyFy Channel one of the best sci-fi shows out there. Happy to hear its renewed for season 5.
- Flack previously on Pop TV renewed for season 2. Never seen it.
- Fleabag award-winning comedy season 2 released in May now on indefinite hiatus but I guess it will probably be back. Haven’t seen it yet but it is on my must-see list from everything I’ve heard.
- Goliath renewed for final season 4. Never watched it.
- Hannah renewed for season 3. I may go back and check it out.
- Homecoming season 2 released May 22. No further word. On my list to check out.
- Hunters season 1 released February 21 no word. Also on my list.
- The Man in the High Castle officially ended November 15 after several seasons. I heard great things but never got around to it.
- The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel renewed for season 4 and we are very very happy. Excellent comedy.
- Modern Love renewed for season. Never heard of it.
- Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan renewed for season 3. Haven’t seen it but it’s on my must-see list.
- Undone renewed for season 2. Amazing animated drama using a strange rotoscoping animation technique. Really liked the first season although it was kind of strange. I’m surprised but pleased will be back. Kind of messes your mind in a fun way.
- Upload relatively new sci-fi series about a digital afterlife. I’ve heard good things but haven’t seen it yet. Renewed for season 2.
Apple TV +
- Amazing Stories first season released April 3. No word on renewal. I was kind of disappointed in this reboot.
- Central Park and Dickinson both renewed for season 2. I know nothing about them.
- For All Mankind this alternate history of the Apollo era of space travel is absolutely awesome. Very happy it will come back for season 2. Highly recommended.
- Home before Dark a cute family-friendly show about an eight-year-old girl who is an investigative reporter. I really enjoyed it and it will be back for season 2.
- The Morning Show despite the fact that it stars Jennifer Aniston and Steve Carell this is a very serious drama about a morning news program. One of the most amazing explorations of the #MeToo issues. Highly recommended and it will be back for season 2.
- Mythic Quest: Raven’s Banquet workplace comedy about video game developers. It will be back for season 2. Never watched it.
- See — an interesting post-apocalyptic action show starring Jason Momoa. Not the greatest but I liked it. It will be back and I look forward to it.
- Servant creepy horror series from M. Night Shyamalan. I intended to check it out but never got around to it. It will be back for season 2.
- Truth Be Told never heard of it but it will be back for season 2.
CBS All Access
- The Good Fight renewed for season 5. One of the best dramas on TV. On its own worth the price of subscribing.
- Interrogation a CIA comedy starring David Schwimmer just premiered February 6. Haven’t seen it.
- Star Trek Discovery season 3 premieres October 15 and I can’t wait. Must-see for Star Trek fans.
- Star Trek Picard season 2 has been ordered. The first season started off kind of slow but ended with wonderfully. Looking forward to more.
- Star Trek Lower Decks premieres August 6. Animated comedy about minor characters aboard the Enterprise. The previews look really cheesy. I’m not impressed.
- Star Trek: Strange New World a spinoff from Discovery starring Anson Mount as Capt. Christopher Pike. I’m really looking forward to this. The characters from this war prominent in season 2 of Discovery. Listed as in preproduction. No target date yet.
- The Twilight Zone this reboot by Jordan Peele had season 2 released June 25. The first season was kind of up and down. Some episodes were great others not so much. Haven’t had time to check out the new season. No word on a third.
- Why Women Kill renewed for season 2 but I haven’t seen it.
- Doom Patrol also available on HBO Max. Season 2 ends August 6. Heard good things but I haven’t seen it yet.
- Harley Quinn season 2 released June 26. Just okay animated series. Only watched about half of season 1 but I will probably go back.
- Stargirl season one started here on DC Universe and then repeated on CW network. Season 2 moves exclusively to CW. Haven’t seen it yet but intend to catch up.
- Titans I’ve heard good things but haven’t seen it yet. Renewed for season 3.
- Young Justice: Outsiders renewed for season 4. I don’t know anything about it.
Probably apart from Netflix the best streaming service for your money featuring all of Star Wars, all of Marvel comics, all of Disney, and National Geographic.
- Diary of a Future President renewed for season 2. I’ve not seen it.
- High School Musical: The Musical:The Series — Really? It takes 2 colons? Season 2 premieres in the fall 2020. Not interested.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars excellent animated Star Wars series you can binge all seasons. Series finale was on May 4
- The Mandalorian absolutely awesome live-action Star Trek series. I’m very happy it will be back for season 2. Also check out EXCELLENT documentary “Disney Gallery: Star Wars: The Mandalorian” which gives amazing insight into the creative process and the technology of this wonderful series. If you love behind-the-scenes insight into filmmaking and storytelling even if you are not a Star Wars fan this is a great view.
I’m definitely not commenting on all of these. Check out the link above for more info.
- Castle Rock based on Stephen King material season 2 was December 11. No word on more. I’ve heard good things but haven’t seen it.
- The Handmaid’s Tale absolutely amazing future history social sci-fi season 4 premieres in 2021. Absolute must-see. I can’t wait.
- Marvel’s Runaways teen action drama officially ended December 13. I really enjoyed it.
- The Orville moved here from Fox. Season 3 will be late this year and I really am looking forward to it. Very funny yet sometimes serious set in a Star Trek like setting.
Again my list is only a partial list of those covered by TV Line and they don’t cover everything on Netflix. I don’t even think Netflix knows everything that’s on Netflix 🙂
- 13 Reasons Why somewhat controversial series about teen suicide officially ended due to 5
- Altered Carbon interesting sci-fi series I watched about half of the first season and intend to finish. Season 2 premiered February 27. No update.
- Arrested Development season 5 released March 2019 on indefinite by you this.
- Black Mirror bizarre sci-fi anthology season 5 released June 5. No word on updates.
- Cobra Kai spinoff of the Karate Kid previously on YouTube renewed for season 3.
- The Crown be needed for allegedly final season 6 although they have recently hinted it could be extended to 7.
- Dead to Me renewed for final season 3
- Fuller House series finale June 2.
- GLOW renewed for final season 4
- Grace and Frankie excellent comedy with Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda renewed for final season 7
- The Kominski Method award-winning comedy starring Michael Douglas renewed for final season 13
- Locke & Key interesting fantasy series renewed for season 2. I’ve heard good things but haven’t seen it.
- Lost in Space excellent family action sci-fi story will return for final season 3 in 2021. I can’t wait.
- Lucifer moved here from Fox season 5a premieres always 21st renewed for final season 6. A favorite of mine.
- Messiah not coming back but it looks like a one season miniseries to me.
- MindHunter season 2 releases last August listed as on indefinite hiatus. I’ve heard good things.
- Raising Dion show about a kid with superpowers. I’ve heard good things but haven’t seen. Renewed for season 2
- Stranger Things probably the most popular show on Netflix I’ve never seen. Renewed for season 4
- The Umbrella Academy offbeat superhero show that I enjoy renewed for season 2
- YOU a nominated crime drama renewed for season 3
- AP Bio moved here from NBC season 3 premieres September 3
- Brave New World based on the classic book season 1 premiered July 15. No updates yet.
That’s all folks. In a few days I will try to post info about upcoming new series but keep in mind the pandemic is going to have the schedule very much in flux.