As most of my readers know, I spent five days in the hospital this week so there wasn’t much opportunity for watching movies. I had difficulty with the hospital Wi-Fi and had to use my iPhone data which is not unlimited under my plan so Netflix and other streaming series were off-limits. However I’m home now and my recommendation for this week is a documentary on Science Channel called “NFL Super Stadiums”. It’s a 90 minute documentary about the building of the new Los Angeles SoFi Stadium which is the home of both the LA Chargers and LA Rams. It will also eventually host a Super Bowl and opening and closing ceremonies of Olympic Games. Really fascinating stuff. I don’t know when it will re-air but it is available on demand.
- Not that many of my readers are opera fans but The Metropolitan Opera has canceled its entire 2020-2021 season because of the pandemic.
- New York’s Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop will be a virtual event.
Renewals, Coming Soon, and Casting News
- CW has announced that the upcoming season six of Supergirl will be its last.
- Alan Arkin is not returning for the third and final season of “The Kominski Method”
- Netflix has canceled “The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance” after 1 season. I tried watching a couple of episodes and it just didn’t seem to have the magic of the original film.
- Starz as renewed “Power Book II: Ghost” for season 2.
- Holly Taylor who played the daughter on “The Americans” has been added to the season 3 cast of “Manifest”.
- Liv Tyler will not be returning to “911: Lone Star” due to uncertainties about transatlantic commuting during the pandemic. I thought she was miscast in the part anyway.
- If you find yourself in need of more cowbell or Schwetti Balls or cheeseburger cheeseburger you have an option now. Every episode of all 45 season of Saturday night live will be available on Peacock starting October 1.
- A new spinoff of “The Suicide Squad” to be titled “Peacemaker” to star John Cena has been ordered to series by HBO Max. James Gunn will write and direct.
- Seth Meyers will have a prime time special edition of his “A Closer Look” feature on NBC October 8.
- David Letterman’s “My Next Guest Needs No Introduction” will return to Netflix for season 3 on October 21.
- Chris rock will post the SNL season premiere October 3. The show will have a small live audience but according to New York rules it will have to be employees and other cast members only.
- Lisa Edelstein is joining the cast of “911: Lone Star” as a recurring character and will return to “The Kominski Method” for its final season.
- Alex Désert has replaced Hank Azaria as voice actor for Carl Carlson. It is part of an ongoing movement to have African-American characters voiced by African-American voice actors rather than white actors.
- “Real Time With Bill Maher” has been renewed at HBO through 2022.
Politics and Showbiz
- Five Republican senators have written to Netflix complaining about where plans for a upcoming series “The Three Body Problem”. The series is based on a Hugo award-winning sci-fi novel of the same name by Chinese author Liu Cixin. Liu had defended the Chinese Communist Party’s imprisonment, torture, and other human rights violations against Muslims in the East Turkestan problems. Netflix responded by denouncing the atrocities but says that Liu’s comments have nothing to do with the TV series. Liu however is a consultant on the project.
- After months of negotiations NBC Universal has finally come to terms with Roku to allow Peacock streaming service on the platform. Roku charges streamers a premium to be available on Roku.
- Paramount Network a cable channel that is gone through too many changes of name to keep track of, is changing to Paramount Movie Network. It will be focusing mostly on movies. See the link at the bottom for details.
- James Cameron says filming of “Avatar 2” is 100% complete. “Avatar 3” 95%. Will believe it when we see it 🙂
- Disney+ has added a Group Watch feature that allows up to seven subscribers to simultaneously view and react to a show.
- Gale Sayers, Hall of Fame running back for the Chicago Bears and inspiration for the film “Brian Song” age 77.
- Lee Kerslake drummer for Ozzy Osbourne and Uriah Heep age 73
- Hollywood stuntman Ernie Orsatti whose most memorable feet was falling through a glass window in the 1972 film “The Poseidon Adventure”. Age 80
- Michael Lonsdale a British French actor who appeared in the James Bond film “Moonraker” and “The Day of the Jackal” age 89
- Michael Chapman Oscar-nominated cinematographer of “Raging Bull” and “The Fugitive”. Age 84
- Jackie Stallone mother of Sylvester Stallone who is also known as a celebrity astrologer. Age 98
- Ron Cobb production designer and cartoonist known for his work on “Back to the Future” and Star Wars. Age 83 .
- Tommy DeVito member of the 60s local group “The Four Seasons” age 92. Complications of Covid 19
- Coliesa McMillan subject of “My 600 Pound Life” age 41 complications of weight loss surgery.
- Kevin Barnes Pres. and creator of Prometheus Entertainment and the producer of the “Lost in Space” reboot on Netflix. Age 65.