I’m still trying to get caught up on entertainment news. This installment covers everything during February 2022.
Much news including entertainment news is focusing on the war in Ukraine. A number of US companies have suspended operations in Russian including Disney and Netflix as well as many social media platforms. Several movie premieres have been suspended in Russia. A number of TV shows including SNL have had special Attributes to Ukraine. I haven’t bothered to keep track of everything in this regard.
Renewals, Coming Soon, and Casting News
- Paramount+ has renewed “SEAL Team”, “The Game” and “Mayor of Kingstown” for additional seasons.
- “Yellowstone” has been renewed for season 5 at Paramount network.
- HBO has renewed “Euphoria” for season 3
- The Orville” premier has been pushed to June 2 from its previous March 10 scheduled return.
- “Vice” has been renewed at Showtime for season 3 and 4
- Amazon has renewed “Reacher” for season 2
- FX announced “Mayans M.C.” season 4 will premier April 19
- Marge Helgenberger will be joining CSI: Vegas for season 2
- HBO has renewed “The Gilded Age” for season 2.
- Hulu has renewed “How I Met Your Father” for season 2.
- Paramount+ has renewed “Halo” for season 2
- Showtime has renewed “Billions” for season 7.
- HBO Max has renewed “Peacemaker” for season 2. James Gunn will write and direct all season 2 episodes.
- Upcoming season 5 of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will be its last.
- Netflix announced “Stranger Things” will end with season 5 but there may be spinoffs.
- FX has renewed “Fargo” for season 5. It will be set in 2019.
- FX announced “Atlanta” will end with season 4
- Netflix has canceled sci-fi series “Another Life” after 2 seasons.
- PBS has canceled animated children’s show “Arthur” after 25 years.
- Wendy Williams syndicated talk show is ending after 12 seasons and will be replaced by Sherri Shepherd
- NBC sci-fi thriller “La Brea” season 2 will be expanded 10 to 14 episodes however they may be split into 2 half seasons because of the extensive special-effects needed.
- NBC has renewed “The Blacklist” for season 10.
- The future of the reboot of sci-fi series “Babylon 5” was in doubt with the pending sale of CW network. However it is still under consideration for start in 2023 instead of this year.
- Starz is developing a prequel series to “Outlander”.
- Yellowstone season 4 will premier on Paramount+ March 28.
- Marvel series Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, The Punisher, and Agents of SHIELD which previously were shown on Netflix are now moving to Disney+ marking the first programs on that service to be rated TV-MA. They will begin March 16.
Politics and Showbiz
- When one of the contestants on The Masked Singer was revealed to be Rudy Giuliani, two of the judges walked off the set.
- The NFL Washington franchise has decided on its new name the “Washington Commanders”. I wonder if the focus group that recommended that title never watched “Handmaid’s Tale”. The bad guys are called “commanders”.
- Amazon has tripled the number of original films and series since 2018. It spent $13 billion in 2021.
- The Oscars will be host by Wanda Sykes, Amy Schumer, and Regina Hall. Also 8 of the awards traditionally given during the primetime broadcast will be awarded prior to going to air and highlights will be shown during broadcast in an attempt to speed things up and keep it interesting. See the link below for details.
- Broadcaster Tegna which operates WTHR Channel 13 here in Indianapolis has been sold to Standard General and Apollo Global. I have no idea how that might impact local TV.
- The family of actor Bill Paxton has reached a $1 million settlement with an anesthesia firm over the actors death.
- SNL cast member Pete Davidson will fly aboard a Blue Origin rocket March 23.
- Discovery will combine HBO Max and Discovery Plus after the merger with Time Warner.
- Timothy Hutton has sued producers of “Leverage” after being left out of the reboot.
- Ivan Reitman director and Ghostbusters and other films. Age 75.
- Douglas Trumbull legendary FX artists on 2001, Blade Runner, and Close Encounters age 79
- Robert Blalock Oscar-winning special-effects artists and cofounder of Industrial Light and Magic. Age 73
- Kerry Chater bass player for Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. Age 77
- PJ O’Rourke satirist and author potential fear. Age 74
- Jane “Nightbirde” Marcznewski contestant on America’s Got Talent who had cancer. Age 31.
- Gary Brooker front man for Procol Harum Singer – songwriter on “Whiter Shade of Pale” age 76
- Sally Kellerman known for playing “hot lips”Houlihan in the movie version of MASH. Age 84
Links of Interest
- Rudy Giuliani’s Masked Singer Reveal Prompts 2 Judges to Walk Off Set During Season 7 Premiere — Report
- Inside Line: Scoop on FBI: Most Wanted, 9-1-1: Lone Star, All American Spinoff, Ghosts, Peacemaker, Walker and More!
- ‘Game Of Thrones’: HBO Gives Spinoffs Update As It Plots Launch Plans For ‘House Of The Dragon’
- Inside Line: Get Scoop on 9-1-1, S.W.A.T., Reacher, Lone Star, Station 19, NCIS, Grey’s, FBI: International and More
- ‘Peacemaker’ Season One Finale: James Gunn On Christopher Smith’s Alternative Ending & “Repercussions” For DC Hero In Season 2
- Oscars to Feature 8 Pre-Taped Awards — Find Out Which Races Won’t Be Live